Saturday, July 22, 2006

Koontz

I love book sales. I got a copy Dean Koontz’s Forever Odd for 70% off the hardback price. FO is the sequel to the bestselling Odd Thomas. Simple engaging plot; kept me hooked till the very last page and left me bleary eyed at two in the morning.

Cant’ say as much for Life Expectancy and The Face – Koontz’s other recent works. And there's Velocity which (from reading the free pdf sampler) didn't exactly had me frothing at the mouth in anticipation - so gave it a miss.

And The Taking – War of the Worlds by way of alien fungi was pretty good for the first few chapters then everything went south. And the rushed ending was .. a bit crap.

I remember Koontz used to do great novels back in the 80s and 90s - the likes of Dark Rivers of the Heart, Mr. Murder, The Bad Place, Tick Tock, Watchers. These days he's mostly hit and miss for me. I usually read up reviews of his books on Amazon before shelling out my hard earned dollars.

Anyway FO goes on my read pile -

  • Lee Child’s One Shot
  • Peter Abrahams’ Wildest Dreams
  • Mark Billingham’s Burning Girl
  • Jeffrey Deaver’s Garden of Beasts
  • Kyle Mills’ Phoenix Rising
  • Stephen King’s Dark Tower (a brick and the end of the series)
  • Tad Williams’ Shadow March (another brick)
  • Jack Canfield's Success Principles
  • Softwar: Larry Ellison & Oracle

Dropped Mark Billingham’s Sleepyhead couple of weeks ago. Bloody slow book that went round and round in circles, I gave up halfway through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home